Stopped traffic on the Banff Avenue bridge and Banff Avenue must be kept to a minimum and start to move as quickly as possible for both emergency and courtesy reasons. FOR THIS REASON, IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT THE FIRST 2K-3K OF EACH RACE MOVES ALONG AT A STEADY PACE and clears Cave Avenue, the Banff Avenue bridge and Banff Avenue in a quick and timely manner.
safety reasons, wheelchairs, baby joggers, strollers,
burleys and pets will not be permitted on the race course.
note: There is limited parking on the south side of the bridge. Leave
your cars at your hotels, and either walk or take the Runners'
Courtesy Bus provided by Melissa's Restaurant and Bar or take
the Banff "Roam
Bus". It is a busy weekend so be sure to make
your hotel bookings soon.
START: 10:30 A.M. at the Banff Recreation Grounds
FINISH: 12:30 P.M. at the Banff Recreation Grounds
Approximately 3000 runners
will start massing on Sundance Road at 10:10 a.m. This is a self-seeded
start. Markers will be on the side of the road. This race deploys a rolling closure in conjunction with the 21K and 5K races.
- Start on Sundance Road (self-seeded start). Both lanes closed until 10:45 a.m. Northbound lane closed until 1:30 (for 21K race).
- Turn left onto Cave Avenue. Both lanes closed to vehicle traffic from 10:15 a.m. to 10:50 a.m.
- Turn left onto Banff Avenue and cross over the Banff Avenue Bridge. All lanes of bridge closed to vehicle traffic until 10:45 a.m.
- At Buffalo Street, continue Northbound on Banff Avenue, Northbound lanes only (runner's right).
- Turn right onto Wolf Street.
- Turn left onto Otter Street/Tunnel Mountain Road, Northbound lane (runner's right).
- Turn right onto
Tunnel Mountain Drive. Southbound lane (runner's right) at Buffalo Mountain Lodge & Douglas Fir Resort. Stay in Southbound lane (runner's right) until North Parks Canada gate. Between North and South gates both lanes closed to traffic until noon.
- At Parks Canada South gate of Tunnel Mountain Drive, move to runner's left.
- Stay on runner's left of Tunnel Mountain Drive, and continue down around Surprise Corner, where the road turns into Buffalo Street, continuing to stay on runner's left.
- Turn left at Muskrat Street onto the footpath, moving to runner's right of the path.
- Turn right onto the path before the Ped Bridge, and continue along the path beside the river, past Central Park, past the canoe docks, and around the loop behind the Mineral Springs Hospital, staying on runner's right.
- Return along Bow Avenue.
- Turn left onto Buffalo Street, Eastbound lane (runner's right).
- On Buffalo Street at Bear Street intersection, move onto the right hand sidewalk and follow delineated path through the Banff Park Museum parking lot.
- Turn right onto sidewalk at Banff Avenue and continue over Banff Avenue Bridge.
NEW IN 2017
- Exit the Banff Avenue Bridge; turn right and follow the short sidewalk to Birch Street.
- Turn left onto Birch Street, staying on runner's right.
- A Course Marshall will direct you to a footpath. Proceed along the path past the skateboard park.
- Turn left onto the gravel path behind the farthest ball diamond.
- Turn left onto the track and proceed to the finish line.
Do not stop until you have crossed the finish line!
Remember to keep moving along the finish line chute to allow other runners to finish safely.
MAP & ELEVATION
click on the images below to view the GPS route map and elevation.
These route maps and elevations are posted as a guide for Race
Participants. They are intended as a general guide only. Due to
limitations in the available input databases, variations between
users may occur.
There are 6 water stations on the 10K route, including the finish line. There
will also be port a-potties at the 2.7K water station and the
6.9K water station.
here to view and print off 10km Route Map
Click here to view and print off 10km Contingency Route